World’s oldest Yoga Teacher
Besides Yoga, she is also a brilliant dancer and loves meditation too
By NewsGram NewsDesk2 -
June 13, 2016
Born and raised in India. Tao Porchon Lynch is a living epitome of potential and strength. Practicing Yoga since last 70 years and still going strong at 98 is nothing less than a wonder.
“Yoga is the joining of our mind, body and spirit. It is like nature, everything is always recycled and brought full circle. I find that I can heal myself if I do what nature does. It’s taken away stress and has helped me through crisis”, she says.
Watch this video:
- She has made to the Guinness World Records for being the world’s oldest Yoga teacher. She is an amazing ball dancer and has also made an appearance in America’s Got Talent.
- She teaches yoga in New York. The former model/actress is also the author of two books and her autobiography namely, Dancing Light: The Spiritual Side of Being Through the Eyes of a Modern Yoga Master which made her the winner of IPPY Award, 2016 and International Book Awards, 2016.
- She was born in Pondicherry, India. Her father was French and her mother was a Manipuri. At a very young age of 8 years, she witnessed a group practicing Yoga. Since then she became interested in Yoga and there was no looking back after. Tao even marched with Mahatma Gandhi twice.
- She studied Yoga from eminent personalities like Sri Aurbindo and Indra Devi. She became the founder of Yoga Teachers Alliance in 1967. In 1982, she set up the Westchester Institute of Yoga in New York.
- She has released a DVD on yoga in association with Tara Stiles titled Yoga with Tao Porchon-Lynch and has published a book based on meditation- Reflections: The Yogic Journey of Life
- She has also been a great Ballroom Tango dancer. And has stood first in many dancing competitions. She has also been the Vice-President of the American Wine Society (AWS), southern New York in 1970 and has judged a number of Wine competitions.
- She lost her husband in the year 1982. The couple never had children. Tao has had 3 hip replacement surgeries and still continues to do Yoga with one rod in her leg. She is a vegetarian and loves wearing high heels. Besides Yoga, she also does meditation. The Yoga instructor still drives a smart car.
by Shubhi Manngla, an intern at Newsgram. Twitter @Shubhi Mangla (@shubhi_mangla) | Twitter